When should You consider Repowering Your Engine?
The better marine engines such as the Mercury MerCruiser and Volvo Penta are well known for their durability and longevity. However, the point at which these engines will need repowering cannot solely be determined by the number of hours they’ve been in operation. The longevity of marine engines is often subject to how consistently and regularly they’ve been run. The PowerHouse Marina experts recommend repowering your marine engine when:
· Downtime and maintenance costs are continually rising
· It’s becoming increasingly unreliable
· It’s consuming an excess amount of fuel
· It’s losing horsepower
The replacement of an inboard engine can take up to 4 weeks, depending on the nature and extent of your repowering project. However, planning well enough in advance will have many benefits once the process begins. Though there are many companies that offers these services, it is important to consult with a company that has experience in dealing with boats repairs and maintenance services. The installation process includes:
· choosing new accessories and the type of technology you want to include
· choosing the right company for the job
· determining if any additional work is required
· possibly selecting a new engine altogether
· taking materials delivery time into consideration
PowerHouse Marina offers a large inventory of Mercury MerCruiser and Volvo Penta engine parts and accessories, so we can easily accommodate your needs where these two engines are concerned.
When you’re trying to decide on the right marine engine that is best suited for your needs, you’ll need to consider:
· current engine footprint
· the amount of engine space
· the type of boat
· what you’re hoping to accomplish or gain
With the materials used in the manufacture of today’s marine engines and advanced technology, it’s possible to increase power output with lighter, smaller engines by boosting their acceleration and top speed. However, it’s important to remember a marine engine with increased power may require the following:
· additional fuel tank capacity
· another type of marine gear
· larger propellers and prop shafts
· stronger engine beds
· working on the existing exhaust and intake air systems
In any event, it’s always best to consult with a certified Mercury MerCruiser and Volvo Penta dealer when trying to determine what propulsion system you need.
Choose the right Installer
In order for your repowering project to be successful, it requires choosing the best engine for your needs and hiring the right installer for the job.Finding the best engine technician for the job with the most experience, expertise, and skill is the secret to achieving the best outcome.To learn more about our repowering services or for answers to other questions, contact PowerHouse Marina today. Our team of boat experts are available to assist you with varying requirements so call us now.